Monday, October 19, 2009

24 things to do in Jerusalem

Participants in Holy Land tours usually have the privilege of getting a day off in Jerusalem to do whatever they like. Although I should probably sleep half the day to recover from the gruelling schedule, I usually end up exploring the city and visiting with shopkeepers. Given the other 20 very structured days of my tour, I like to relax by hanging out in the Old City. This is what I would enjoy if I could get up early enough. Begin by attending the 6:00 a.m. worship at the Armenian Cathedral of St. James. After that, find a place to sit and drink Arabic Coffee until 8:00 (probably at Samir Said's at 11 Christian Quarter Road). Then walk the ramparts from Jaffa Gate to Damascus Gate. Wander the streets of the Old City until about 11:00, visiting with some my favorite shopkeepers. Then go to Abu Shukri for lunch (photo above), arriving there around 11:30. I always make sure I visit my friend Yasser Barakat's shop in the Muristan area of the Old City. Return at least once to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

If you would like to see all 24 of my suggestions, CLICK HERE.